Friday, July 20, 2018

Old Knoxville Pharmacies

Paula Johnson, of Knoxville Food Tours, gave a very interesting brown bag lecture at the East Tennessee History Center, about the Lost Restaurants of Knoxville.

She spoke of several early and influential individuals associated with Knoxville eateries, and the restaurants themselves.  After the lecture my family and I went north on Gay Street for our first visit to the Phoenix Pharmacy and Fountain

I wanted to learn more, so I went digging  through the pamphlet, Progressive Knoxville, 1904, A Pictorial Review of the City (published in 1903 by Russell Harrison), I found three interior shots of local pharmacies.  I've also found an interior shot from the 1903 edition of Progressive Knoxville.

Peter Kern Company
Progressive Knoxville, 1904

Kuhlman's Big Cut Rate Drug Store
Progressive Knoxville, 1904

Pharmacy, F.B. Sharp
Progressive Knoxville, 1904

W.W. Hall & Co.
Progressive Knoxville, 1903
image from the C.M. McClung Historical Collection, Knox County Public Library

No comments:

Post a Comment